lucene-general mailing list archives

From Simone Chiaretta <simone.chiare...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Lucene.NET Community Status
Date Wed, 03 Nov 2010 10:40:19 GMT
I don't want to sound negative but saying:

> Beyond that, the ASF provides legal protection for committers, plus an
> incredible brand, not to mention infrastructure, etc.  *Rather than write
> it up, I'd suggest you go read
> http://www.apache.org/foundation/how-it-works.html and
> http://www.apache.org/dev/ and other things.*

Doesn't look a really friendly approach.... if the ASF provides just the
brand (which is big in the Linux/Java world, but almost nil in the .NET
one), the infrastructure (I don't know what this is, but if it is just the
hosting and the svn and ML, then all the opensource project hosting site
provide it with no strings attached), and a set of rules/obligations/laws
that cannot be even summed up in an email, then I don't think its really a
lot of advantages for the project.

Except for the name, personally I don't see any other reason for really
wanting to stay inside the ASF.

Or maybe it's the ASF that wants Lucene.Net in to expand their brand also to
the .NET world

Anyway, whichever direction the current "committers" decide to take, I'm
available for help, as long as I can find the time to it, considering that I
use only in my personal opensource project.

Probably it would be more beneficial if someone that is working for
companies that get money from products based on Lucene.Net could ask their
company if they can devote part of their paid time on it (
http://blog.wekeroad.com/thoughts/making-bacon-from-lemonade)

Simone

--
Simone Chiaretta
Microsoft MVP ASP.NET - ASPInsider

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic
"Life is short, play hard"