lucene-general mailing list archives

From Simone Chiaretta <simone.chiare...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Lucene.NET Community Status
Date Wed, 03 Nov 2010 10:19:02 GMT
On Tue, Nov 2, 2010 at 6:59 PM, Grant Ingersoll <gsingers@apache.org> wrote:

> On Nov 2, 2010, at 1:20 PM, Granroth, Neal V. wrote:
>

> > We've already been through this process once before.  Why repeat?
>
> Because clearly it didn't take the first time and this time the goal is to
> demonstrate the community can stand on its own two feet as an Apache Top
> Level Project (TLP).  Last time through, the goal was to be a part of the
> Lucene PMC.
>
> Given the declared interest level here, if it is indeed real, it shouldn't
> be a problem to go back to the incubator with  some extra helping hands, do
> some real releases, learn how Apache works and then graduate to be a TLP.
>
> -Grant

Yes, here people showed some level of commitment.
I'd love the help, but unfortunately don't have time to do bring a lot of
value.

But I think the steps to be taken are:

1 - Install some software that help maintaining the site (forrest as all the
other apache project? a .net software like screwturn wiki?) Or can it just
be hosted on Google Code/CodePlex/Github and just linked from the Apache
site?
2 - Clean the site up a bit, add links to documentation and releases and the
usual stuff you need to have in a project site
3 - Do an official release of 2.9.2
4 - Setup a public CI environment (I think CodeBetter TeamCity would be a
great place to put it)
5 - Decide the future strategy of the project: just line-by-line port with
Java API, line-by-line port with .NET wrapper for "nicer" API, or anything
else.
6 - Add some explanation how the project is developed: if a Java to C# port
is done, explain how and how to contribute
6 - Target the latest Lucene Java available version

Simone

--
Simone Chiaretta
Microsoft MVP ASP.NET - ASPInsider

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic
"Life is short, play hard"