lucene-general mailing list archives

From Grant Ingersoll <gsing...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Lucene.NET Community Status
Date Tue, 02 Nov 2010 18:26:07 GMT

On Nov 2, 2010, at 2:02 PM, Josh Handel wrote:

> One thing that has yet to be answered on this list is this :
>
> What does Apache Foundation provide, that the project does not received on its own OTHER
than the name "Lucene"..     I hear a lot of what Apache requests of us, beyond a name what
the heck do they provide?

I'd hardly say we've made many requests other than to say the community needs to show some
sign of life (which it hasn't) and to not call something a release when it isn't.  Go read
the original email

Beyond that, the ASF provides legal protection for committers, plus an incredible brand, not
to mention infrastructure, etc.  Rather than write it up, I'd suggest you go read http://www.apache.org/foundation/how-it-works.html
and http://www.apache.org/dev/ and other things.

And yes, the name itself is quite significant.  Go do some searches.  There are lots of other
search engine implementations out there.  Some are even good.  None have the usage and innovation
that Lucene does.  I feel quite comfortable in saying it is the most widely used search library
on the planet.  So, yeah, the name alone is worth quite a bit.  Why do you think Lucene.NET
was called that in the first place?

-Grant