lucene-general mailing list archives

From Ben Martz <benma...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Lucene.NET Community Status
Date Tue, 02 Nov 2010 18:43:58 GMT
If nothing else they (ASF) provide a swift kick in our collective behinds when it's needed.
And it's needed rather badly right now.

The last release of Lucene.Net was 2.9.2 in May. Lucene Java 2.9.2 and 3.0.1 were released
in February and 2.9.3 and 3.0.2 were released in June. It's now November and as a community
we have no clue what our current project status is.

With all due respect to the couple of very dedicated people who actively contribute, Lucene.Net
is a mess from a project management standpoint. The port from Lucene Java is a mysterious
black-box process which takes place "eventually" because one person generously spends a huge
amount of time on it in their spare time, outside of their real job that actually pays the
bills.

The gating factor for this project is the initial port by one poor soul and then fixes to
various subtle issues caused by the automated conversion.

On the subject of forking outside of ASF, one big issue is that Lucene.Net would not exist
without the fundamental work done by the gurus involved in the Lucene Java project. I can
port another developer's code all day but I sure don't have the domain knowledge (or the interest)
to get into the guts of Lucene and actually make meaningful improvements there.

I think this recent discussion of automated porting tools is a great start towards breathing
some life back into this project. I'm hoping to play with a couple of the tools mentioned
when time permits so I can contribute to that discussion. Hopefully if enough people are interested
then we can build on that and segment out portions of the work so that even with some overlap
we are no longer gated by the availability of a single developer.

The short term issue though is whether or not enough people are interested in continuing this
project under the umbrella of ASF and if so then, as I understand it, there are certain basic
procedures that need to be followed so that ASF doesn't drop this technically inactive project.

Cheers,
Ben

Josh Handel wrote:
> I should clarify here.. because this could sound hostal to the Apache Foundation..
>
> I'm not for or against saying as an Apache Project.. But the Goals of being an Open Source
port of Lucene (line for line or otherwise) can be done inside or outside the Apache Foundation....
 Ergo, rather than assume that going back to Incubation with the hope of becoming a TLP inside
the Apache Foundation is what is best for this project, I think we should evaluate what Apache
offers..

> If they provide compelling resources and support that is worth more than the Political
headache and overhead, then I say we stay. However, if we are all in a tizzy to not lose our
status and all they provide is source control, a mail list, and the name "Lucene" then I think
we should be discussing if that is worth the overhead they impose.

> Josh

than the name "Lucene"..     I hear a lot of what Apache requests of us, beyond a name what
the heck do they provide?

> Josh

the community can stand on its own two feet as an Apache Top Level Project (TLP).  Last time
through, the goal was to be a part of the Lucene PMC.

> Given the declared interest level here, if it is indeed real, it shouldn't be a problem
to go back to the incubator with  some extra helping hands, do some real releases, learn how
Apache works and then graduate to be a TLP.