lucene-general mailing list archives

From Grant Ingersoll <gsing...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Lucene usage statistics
Date Fri, 19 Nov 2010 11:54:17 GMT

On Nov 18, 2010, at 10:24 AM, Ugo Scaiella wrote:

> Thank you for your reply.
> May you tell me where you saw such estimates?
>
> Ugo
>
> 2010/11/18 Grant Ingersoll <gsingers@apache.org>
>
>> Unfortunately, there isn't, since people don't have to let us know that
>> they are using it.  I've seen estimates ranging from 4K - 180K deployments.

The 4k is one we estimated and is based on the number of applications we think have been developed
using Lucene/Solr, the 180K is one I saw from an analyst a while back: http://arnoldit.com/wordpress/2008/12/05/new-open-source-search-vendor/
and is likely based on the number of places it has been installed regardless of how it was
delivered (either via a 3rd party app or via a in-house development)

You might also see https://www.osscensus.org/summary-report-public.php

I guess it depends on how you count things.  For instance, Lucene/Solr is embedded in Drupal,
Alfresco, Typo3, Jackrabbit and many other CMSes, do you count each one of those?  It's also
in things like IBM Omnifind and EMC's Documentum as well as many other vendors, does every
installation of that count?  If that is the case, then 180K is probably conservative.  If
you just count the number of applications that use it and not deployments, the 4K number is
probably a little low but in the ballpark.

In the end, though, it's all a big guessing game, so I wouldn't put too much faith in any
number.  The ASF has mirrors worldwide, so it is impossible to know how many downloads there
are, much less how many people actually put it into production.

-Grant