lucene-general mailing list archives

From Simone Chiaretta <simone.chiare...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Lucene.NET Community Status
Date Sat, 30 Oct 2010 17:56:07 GMT
I think that being not subscribed to the other mailing list probably my
email will end up only in the user ML.
Personally I think inside the ASF there is no awareness of how widespread is
Lucene.net in the .NET world:
It is used by many big projects, both opensource and commercial: for example
Raven DB, a commercial/opensource NoSQL database is using it as foundation.
Also Umbraco is using Lucene if I'm not wrong, and also Orchard and many
other are using it, including NHibernate.
And many big consulting companies are using it for their projects

Personally I put Lucene.net into Subtext and developed a few PoC at the
company I'm working for at the moment, but nothing major.

I wrote a series of posts on Lucene.net on my blog and many people were
wondering if the Lucene.net project was dead: this because there has not
been a real release since years.

Personally I'd love to see Lucene.net a main project, not under the umbrella
of the Java version. And I'd also love to see it not just being a
line-by-line port of the Java version, but that it also adopts the same
conventions of .NET applications: in .NET there is are GetSize and SetSize
methods as in java, but there would be the Size property. And so on.

Talking about the official release: I'm pretty sure that if you take the
2.9.2 version and just make a binary release it will be good, since it is
used by some many people without problems. But I don't know which are the
requirements of the ASF for releasing official releases.

Personally I don't care if Lucene.net is part of the ASF, in the incubator
or hosted on CodePlex as standalone project, as long as there are releases,
and some committers are working on it.
Maybe Lucene.net could follow the same steps of NHibernate: it was just the
step-child of Hibernate, owned by the same "company" and later it evolved to
a project with its own dignity and ownership, implementing features that
didn't exist in the java version (like Linq and now ConfORM), and not just
doing line-by-line posting.

Personally I'm willing to help writing some documentation, but I don't have
the time to contribute on code as I'm already working on other opensource
project.

Probably this is not the most coherent email I wrote, but I hope it has some
interesting points of discussion.

HTH
Simone

--
Simone Chiaretta
Microsoft MVP ASP.NET - ASPInsider

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic
"Life is short, play hard"