lucene-general mailing list archives

From Grant Ingersoll <gsing...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Lucene.NET Community Status
Date Sat, 30 Oct 2010 10:59:02 GMT

On Oct 29, 2010, at 11:19 PM, George Aroush wrote:

> Hi Grant and all,
>
> I will get engaged with the project again.  The way I see it, by the end of
> the year, we must:
>
> 1) Clean up the website, and / or
> 2) Create an official release off the current trunk, and
> 3) Sometimes next year, port the most current version of Java Lucene.
>
> If by the end of the year, if we don't manage #1 and / or #2, Lucene.Net
> should be at the mercy of Apache's PMC.

Please see the original email below.  You also need new blood contributing to the project.
 One active committer for a project that has been around this long is not enough.  You also
need a plan for self determination, i.e. to either become a top level project (i.e. lucenenet.apache.org
or something like that) here at the ASF or for spinning out somewhere else under a new name.
 This will be better for the project as you will then be guided by a PMC that is made up of
the community members who have a stake in the project, as opposed to now where you have a
PMC, other than George, that is largely unaware of Lucene.NET and has no stake in Lucene.NET
and is not informed enough to make decisions about new committers, releases, etc. and likely
isn't even capable of running Lucene.NET (I'm on a Mac, for instance.)

In fact, if I were active in this community, I would put the self determination piece of the
puzzle before all others because it has a number of effects that make 1, 2 and 3 easier for
you.  Personally, I would go back to the Incubator with a proposal for re-entry there that
adds at least 4-5 new committers based on volunteers stepping up here.  Once you have 4-5
new committers, then you have people who can do the work to get a release out, clean up the
website and, most importantly, learn how developing code at the ASF works.  You also then
have the genesis of a PMC that makes for a sustainable project and one where you can get 3
binding PMC votes for a release (which you may not be able to do at the moment under Lucene
simply because other than George, there are not any .NET programmers on the PMC who can verify
the release is viable.)

I can help you craft the proposal to go into the Incubator, as I feel it is part of my duties
as Chair to see some resolve on this project, but beyond that I personally am not interested
in being involved.  I do think there needs to be a .NET version of Lucene, though, so I wish
you all the best of luck in keeping the project alive.

-Grant

> The key for our success is for the community working together -- we can't
> have few folks doing the heavy lifting of the project.
>
> Regards,
>
> -- George

Grant Ingersoll
http://www.lucidimagination.com