lucene-general mailing list archives

From Chris Hostetter <hossman_luc...@fucit.org>
Subject Re: Draft proposal: Move Lucy to Incubator
Date Wed, 07 Jul 2010 21:06:09 GMT

: Here are the changes that the draft proposal has undergone since it was posted
: here on Friday:
:
:   http://wiki.apache.org/lucy/LucyIncubatorProposal?action=diff&rev2=43&rev1=35

I'm still a little confused about a few things...
--
1) In the preface, I think it needs to be clear that there is more going
on then just the assimilation of KinoSearch, there is also the migration

Preface

Lucy is a sub-project which is being spun off from the Lucene TLP but is
not yet ready for graduation.  We propose to address certain needs of the
project by transitioning to an Incubator Podling, and assimilating the
KinoSearch codebase.

--
2) "Documentation" ... shouldn't the existing lucy svn, docs, wiki, and
source will be a snapshot from the KinoSearch subversion repository. "

(these existing ASF resources are mentioned later on in the proposal in
"Required Resources", but for people who know nothing about Lucy reading
the "Current Status" of won't really be giving them the full picture)

--
3) As far as this para in the Background section...

>> Since Lucy cannot remain as a sub-project of Lucene under the current
>> ASF policy of breaking up "umbrella projects", it is not appropriate
>> for the software grant to take place within the context of the Lucene
>> TLP. Instead, we advocate that the software grant happen within the
>> context of the Incubator, and that a Lucy podling and PPMC be
>> established which will ultimately take responsibility for the codebase.

   ...i think a better way to phrase it may be be...

Because Lucene is working to move away from being an "umbrella project", A
Long term goal of the Lucy project is to graduate to an ASF TLP.  With
that in mind, it seems more appropriate for the KinoSearch software grant
to take place within the context of the Incubator, and that a Lucy podling
and PPMC be established which will ultimately take responsibility for the
codebase.

(Note: i would have made all these edits to the lucy wiki myself, but for
some reason the account i just created won't let me login, and the
password reset email still hasn't arrived)

-Hoss