lucene-general mailing list archives

From Grant Ingersoll <gsing...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [PMC] [DISCUSS] Lucy
Date Sun, 13 Jun 2010 21:53:13 GMT

On Jun 12, 2010, at 4:47 PM, Marvin Humphrey wrote:

> On Sat, Jun 12, 2010 at 07:10:32AM -0400, Grant Ingersoll wrote:
>> Since the last email discussing Lucy, Marvin has been working on it, AFAICT,
>> which is a good thing.
>
> A year ago, the Lucy repository contained 6,275 lines of code.  Today, it
> contains 46,827.
>
>> there does not appear to be anyone else who has contributed to it at any
>> level beyond the occasional email here and there.
>
> Not true.   Over the last year there have been steady patch contributions from
> Peter Karman, and occasional contributions from Nathan Kurz.
>
>> There also has yet to be a single release in its time here.
>
> If that's the new criteria, Lucy could make an initial release within 3
> months.  Technically speaking, it could achieved within a couple weeks.

Just so you know, this is not a new criteria.  Releasing is what we all should be working
toward.  Some get there faster than others, but it is what we do.   I would encourage everyone
to go have a look at http://www.apache.org/dev/ and http://www.apache.org/foundation/how-it-works.html
as well as the incubator docs for a deeper understanding about what the ASF is about.  Naturally,
It's not the only way of doing things, just one way.

I think there should be several goals for Lucy:
1. Find and identify other contributors who can be made committers
2. Do a release
3. Get some users.

-Grant