lucene-general mailing list archives

From Grant Ingersoll <gsing...@apache.org>
Subject [PMC] [DISCUSS] Lucy
Date Sat, 12 Jun 2010 11:10:32 GMT
It's been a while since we've taken a look at Lucy from a PMC standpoint, but I think it is
worth us reviewing once again.  And, while this isn't easy to do because I very much value
Marvin as a member of the Lucene community, I think we need have a frank discussion about
whether Lucy belongs as a Lucene subproject, especially in light of recent Board concerns
about Lucene's umbrella status.

Since the last email discussing Lucy, Marvin has been working on it, AFAICT, which is a good
thing.  I still, however, don't think it meets the community standards of the ASF (see http://incubator.apache.org/guides/graduation.html#subproject
for instance).    For instance, there does not appear to be anyone else who has contributed
to it at any level beyond the occasional email here and there.  The last email on the dev
list from someone other than Marvin was someone announcing KinoSearch on May 1st.  Before
that, it was on April 6.  The last email on the user list was from Marvin in November of 2009.
 And, while Marvin participates regularly on dev@l.a.o and we have had many cross pollination
talks, it does not, unfortunately, make for a community around Lucy.   There also has yet
to be a single release in its time here.  Even if there were an attempt at a release, how
many PMC members even follow Lucy enough that you feel comfortable voting for a release?

If this were a project coming from the Incubator to us via a "graduation vote", I would vote
to not let it graduate.

Finally, given that Lucy undoubtedly is a separate community (if it ever exists) with separate
goals from Lucene and that it is considered ASF best practice for PMC's to not be "umbrella"
projects, I think we should consider either Lucy going into the Incubator with the goal of
growing it's own community and standing on it's own as a TLP in its own right (just as we
recommended for CLucene recently) or going to Google Code or some other such hosting service
where it will be free to make decisions on its future without the hinderance of a PMC that
isn't aligned with its needs and objectives, as I believe is the current case with the Lucene
PMC.

-Grant