lucene-general mailing list archives

From Marvin Humphrey <>
Subject Re: [PMC] [DISCUSS] Lucy
Date Mon, 14 Jun 2010 00:28:49 GMT
On Sun, Jun 13, 2010 at 06:01:44PM -0400, Grant Ingersoll wrote:
> I don't get why Lucy isn't just a part of KinoSearch.  Why all this extra
> work to be at the ASF?

Because I want Lucy to be as successful as possible, and I am fully persuaded
that The Apache Way is the best means to that end.

That's not true for every software project, but for this one, it is.  Partly
because of scope, but mostly because of the benefits of collaborative
meritocratic development -- as illustrated by the cross-pollination design
successes which will ultimately help Lucy as much as they have helped Lucene.

> I am genuinely curious about it, since they seem so tightly integrated.

It's true, they are tightly integrated -- in that KinoSearch is gradually
being taken over by Lucy code.

Nowadays, everyone who is working on KinoSearch also contributes their code to
Lucy -- which we get to do because both licenses allow us to maintain
copyright over our own contributions.   As Lucy is written, KinoSearch gets
modified.  I have a little utility script called "syncl" (for "syncronize
lucy") that I use to keep sync'd files up to date.  KinoSearch is around
108,000 lines of code; of that, c. 46,000 now overlaps with Lucy modulo
namespaces and copyright/license notifications.

(We'll have a problem if people turn up who want to contribute to Lucy but
don't want to contribute to KinoSearch, but we'll cross that bridge when we
come to it.)

> From a software standpoint, I don't see the benefit of a separate project
> hosted somewhere else with the overhead the ASF brings.

I don't really see it that way.  My first priority is Lucy, and it has been
ever since the project was launched.  Today, KinoSearch is A) a useful tool
that aids Lucy's development and B) a maintenance project that I still support
but plan to deprecate when Lucy is ready.  I'm proud of KinoSearch, but its
original ambitions were more or less satisfied a long time ago.

Not that any of this should matter much to the ASF, except insofar that
clarifying my motivations might serve to demonstrate that Lucy's most active
contributor remains highly committed to the project.

Marvin Humphrey

View raw message