lucene-general mailing list archives

From "Mattmann, Chris A (388J)" <chris.a.mattm...@jpl.nasa.gov>
Subject Re: Adding CLucene as a Lucene subproject
Date Thu, 20 May 2010 05:07:57 GMT
Hi Itamar,

I think what you would do is throw together a proposal mentioning things
like:

* who would be the initial committers for the project
* whether those committers have Apache ICLAs [1] on file, or not
* what¹s the rationale behind the project (yours would have strong
rationale, since Lucene is home to more than a few ports of the core Java
lib)
* what the licensing issues to be dealt with are
* what the affiliations of your current committers are

In general, whether you go the route of the Apache Incubator [2] or not,
these guidelines here [3] in general apply. You would then approach either
the Apache Incubator and grow your project there, with the intent of
graduating to a Lucene sub-project, or you could go to the Lucene PMC and
try to start a project directly there. Since I didn¹t follow the genesis of
the other Lucene ports, let¹s see what they think (I¹m CC¹ing general@lucene
to find out).

Cheers,
Chris

[1] http://www.apache.org/licenses/icla.txt
[2] http://incubator.apache.org
[3] http://incubator.apache.org/guides/proposal.html

On 5/19/10 3:57 PM, "Itamar Syn-Hershko" <itamar@code972.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Following a recent discussion with Otis, I would like to request for the
> CLucene project to join the ASF, as a sub-project of Lucene.
>
> CLucene is an important port of Lucene, and is being used very widely for a
> few years now. The project aims to be attractive to people who like to use
> Lucene but wants to increase performance or reduce the overheads of using a
> JVM, for C++ developers; and eventually for users of various high-level or
> scripting languages.
>
> We are currently hosting on SourceForge; our latest release conforms to Java
> Lucene 1.9.1, but the master branch in our git repository works with 2.3.2
> indexes, and is being worked on for a while now. More info is available in our
> website (http://clucene.sourceforge.net/) and project page
> (https://sourceforge.net/projects/clucene/).
>
> CLucene is currently released under the LGPL and the Apache 2.0 licenses
> (dual). If this needs changing, we will need some legal help to do that
> correctly.
>
> Please advise on how to pursue this, and what needs to be done from our end.
> This move is very important to us, and could also benefit the Lucene
> community. Hopefully, we could make this happen.
>
> Itamar.

Chris Mattmann, Ph.D.
Senior Computer Scientist
Office: 171-266B, Mailstop: 171-246