lucene-general mailing list archives

From "Itamar Syn-Hershko" <>
Subject RE: Adding CLucene as a Lucene subproject
Date Thu, 20 May 2010 11:58:58 GMT
Thanks Chris.

I'll be creating such a proposal, and we'll continue from there. Looking
forward to any further instructions on this process.

-----Original Message-----
From: Mattmann, Chris A (388J) []
Sent: Thursday, May 20, 2010 8:08 AM
To:; Lucene mailing list
Subject: Re: Adding CLucene as a Lucene subproject

Hi Itamar,

I think what you would do is throw together a proposal mentioning things

* who would be the initial committers for the project
* whether those committers have Apache ICLAs [1] on file, or not
* what¹s the rationale behind the project (yours would have strong
rationale, since Lucene is home to more than a few ports of the core Java
* what the licensing issues to be dealt with are
* what the affiliations of your current committers are

In general, whether you go the route of the Apache Incubator [2] or not,
these guidelines here [3] in general apply. You would then approach either
the Apache Incubator and grow your project there, with the intent of
graduating to a Lucene sub-project, or you could go to the Lucene PMC and
try to start a project directly there. Since I didn¹t follow the genesis of
the other Lucene ports, let¹s see what they think (I¹m CC¹ing general@lucene
to find out).

On 5/19/10 3:57 PM, "Itamar Syn-Hershko" <> wrote:

> Hi all,
> Following a recent discussion with Otis, I would like to request for
> the CLucene project to join the ASF, as a sub-project of Lucene.
> CLucene is an important port of Lucene, and is being used very widely
> for a few years now. The project aims to be attractive to people who
> like to use Lucene but wants to increase performance or reduce the
> overheads of using a JVM, for C++ developers; and eventually for users
> of various high-level or scripting languages.
> We are currently hosting on SourceForge; our latest release conforms
> to Java Lucene 1.9.1, but the master branch in our git repository
> works with 2.3.2 indexes, and is being worked on for a while now. More
> info is available in our website ( and
> project page (
> CLucene is currently released under the LGPL and the Apache 2.0
> licenses (dual). If this needs changing, we will need some legal help
> to do that correctly.
> Please advise on how to pursue this, and what needs to be done from our
> This move is very important to us, and could also benefit the Lucene
> community. Hopefully, we could make this happen.
> Itamar.

Chris Mattmann, Ph.D.
Senior Computer Scientist
Office: 171-266B, Mailstop: 171-246
Adjunct Assistant Professor, Computer Science Department University of
Southern California, Los Angeles, CA 90089 USA

To unsubscribe, e-mail: For additional
commands, e-mail:

View raw message