lucene-general mailing list archives

From Adam Talaat <>
Subject Lucene and Disk Snapshots
Date Thu, 27 May 2010 16:58:50 GMT

I am trying to determine whether Lucene is compatible with a disk snapshot based backup strategy.
I would like to take disk snapshots while Lucene is running. Can I be assured that committed
data will remain consistent and recoverable for any snapshot? It is acceptable for me to lose
documents which have not been committed, or a commit in-progress. Full ACID compliance isn't
necessary, just that the Lucene index is consistent and recoverable regardless of when a snapshot
is taken.

I have seen bugfix reports related to consistent commits for earlier versions of Lucene. I
have not been able to determine whether Lucene is generally considered safe in this respect.

I plan to supplement the more frequent snapshot backups with logical/export backups.

My specific usage scenario is Solr 1.4 hosted on a SAN. The SAN will be performing the snapshots.

Thank you!