lucene-general mailing list archives

From Ted Dunning <ted.dunn...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] merge lucene/solr development
Date Thu, 04 Mar 2010 17:50:58 GMT
Extending this with a few more specific steps:

a) merge dev list and committers

b) have lucene build trigger solr build and test

c) have lucene release trigger solr release shortly afterwards

d) completely synchronize builds

If these steps (as steps, not as a bundle) are what the proposal really is
about, then it might win over some of the negative votes.  Surely there is
value in the first two steps and little controversy.  Surely also (c) is in
the hands of the solr-focused devs and would be a natural outgrowth of (b).
If (d) winds up in the far future because people are happy, then how can
that be objectionable.

A phrase I haven't heard yet is "progress, not perfection".    I thought
that was the Lucene development motto.   Can't it be applied here?

--
Ted Dunning, CTO
DeepDyve