lucene-general mailing list archives

From Yonik Seeley <ysee...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] merge lucene/solr development (take 3)
Date Sun, 14 Mar 2010 20:09:01 GMT
On Sun, Mar 14, 2010 at 2:58 PM, Otis Gospodnetic
<otis_gospodnetic@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Would it make sense to think of Solr as one such Lucene module?
> In other words, don't even bother with merging just the -dev lists, but really just merge
everything.  In that case Solr's relationship with Lucene core becomes much like the relationship
Lucene contribs have with Lucene core today in terms of compatibility, builds, and committers'
responsibilities?

> That kind of makes sense to me.  Of course, because of the sheer volume we may want
to keep -user lists separate and possibly even create new ones for Lucene modules that attract
enough interest on their own.

Yes, the general gist of that all makes sense.  merge-everything is
more along the lines of the original discussion (we just needed to
enumerate some specific action items in the vote).  The things we
probably don't merge are just for user convenience.  Separate
downloads & websites & user lists.  Might have made sense to merge
JIRA, but there are just so many open issues... it prob wouldn't be
practical.

And yes, more user lists in the future could even make sense - say a
separate one for DIH.

-Yonik