lucene-general mailing list archives

From Yonik Seeley <ysee...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] merge lucene/solr development (take 3)
Date Sun, 14 Mar 2010 19:48:10 GMT
On Sun, Mar 14, 2010 at 2:36 PM, Otis Gospodnetic
<otis_gospodnetic@yahoo.com> wrote:
>  if I understand things correctly, poaching is only needed when the code is not committed
in the
> "right" project/location to begin with.

That is the problem though - Solr should be allowed to keep whatever
code was written under it's control, w/o pressure to put it in Lucene
(and often out of reach).  And Lucene should be able to poach what it
wants from Solr.  But with the projects already half overlapping... it
was a recipe for conflict.

We've already had conflicts about this in the past.  The conflicts
were either going to get worse over time, esp with Solr not on
Lucene's trunk, or we were going to merge.  We've decided to tear down
the artificial wall and work together.

Some people suggest that this could have worked w/o merging.  I
disagreed, as I think the majority of those voting +1 disagreed.

Not sure who's following lucene-dev and solr-dev, but the committers
have already been merged. We're not standing still...

-Yonik