lucene-general mailing list archives

From Yonik Seeley <ysee...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] merge lucene/solr development (take 3)
Date Tue, 09 Mar 2010 15:04:20 GMT
On Tue, Mar 9, 2010 at 9:48 AM, Mattmann, Chris A (388J)
<chris.a.mattmann@jpl.nasa.gov> wrote:
> I have built 10s of projects that
> have simply used Lucene as an API and had no need for Solr, and I've built
> 10s of projects where Solr made perfect sense. So, I appreciate their
> separation.

As does everyone - which is why there will always be separate
downloads.  As a user, the only side affect you should see is an
improved Lucene and Solr.

Saying that Solr should move some stuff to Lucene for Lucene's
benefit, without regard to if it's actually benefitial to Solr, is a
non-starter.  The lucene/solr committers have been down that road
before.  The solution that most committers agreed would improve the
development of both projects is to merge development.

-Yonik