lucene-general mailing list archives

From Yonik Seeley <yo...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] merge lucene/solr development
Date Thu, 04 Mar 2010 20:22:48 GMT
As far as releases - I'm not sure Lucene has released major versions
appreciably faster than Solr.  Lucene released many more bugfix
releases... but those are orders of magnitude easier - not an issue.

It is precisely the intent, goals, and commitments that matter to me.
A single development team.
I'm not sweating the small stuff - it will be worked out.  The
*intent* to try and develop and release together is what's important.

If we merge, and Solr's not on Lucene's trunk yet, and Lucene is close
to a release - of course it makes sense for Lucene to go ahead and
release.  It's all these things we *don't* have to specify because
we'll use our heads and not try to practice contract law ;-)
That's even true inside Solr itself - when it was felt that some
components weren't quite ready for "prime time", they didn't make it
into the release.

-Yonik