lucene-general mailing list archives

From Andi Vajda <va...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] merge lucene/solr development
Date Thu, 04 Mar 2010 19:13:22 GMT

On Thu, 4 Mar 2010, Mark Miller wrote:

> Who knows - this isn't the official count - just a gauge of what has
> happened.
>
> What the true votes of the *'s are remains to be seen - I wouldn't default
> them either way as the voters seemed to think they can vote with a clause
> - we don't know what they would vote without. But right now they vote +1
> with an asterisk.

Indeed. In my case, if the hard synchronisation of releases in both
directions were to become a hard requirement, I would probably vote -1.

I'm +1 with making it a requirement that in order to release Solr we'd have
to release Lucene too.

I am -1 making it a requirement that in order to release Lucene we'd
have to release Solr too.

Infrequent releases have been a problem on Lucene and, apparently, an even
worse one on Solr. Until Solr has shown that it can release as frequently as
Lucene I don't think slowing down Lucene releases even more is a good move.

I think that merging the projects as proposed would make it a easier for
Solr to improve its release frequency, though. This my +1 vote on the rest
of the proposal.

Andi..