lucene-general mailing list archives

From Grant Ingersoll <gsing...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] merge lucene/solr development (take 3)
Date Tue, 09 Mar 2010 04:24:35 GMT
I don't think any of it's a showstopper, but at the same time we should try to address the
concerns of those who voted -1 and see if a better solution can be developed so that they
hopefully can become at least a 0 if not a +1.  The whole point of the move is to build a
stronger community, not a weaker one.  At the same time, we should also remember that a large
part of the motivation for this move comes from people wanting things that are in Solr to
be moved to Lucene in the first place (Analyzers, Faceting, Function Queries, Open Bit Set,
Spatial, Schema to name a few past and present ones;  these constitute a lot of Solr's functionality,
BTW.)  If there are baby steps that bring the two together, we should consider them.  Personally,
I think the proposal contains said baby steps, but perhaps some would prefer smaller ones
to begin with so they should outline them.

It should also be noted that a good chunk of the Solr committers are already Lucene committers,
and of the remaining there are: Bill Au, Mike Klaas, Ryan McKinley, Shalin and Noble.  Mike
has been inactive for quite some time (and has elected to go emeritus even though it's not
marked on the page) and and Ryan, Shalin and Noble already contribute to Lucene in various
parts (AFAICT), so to me it's not a big stretch to say bring them into the fold.  I haven't
tracked Bill's involvement, but I also know Bill and trust he knows what it means to be a
committer, i.e. he knows as much what not to touch as what to touch.  Of course, we can do
a separate vote on that if that helps satisfy Chris' issue on the committers.

In the end, for me anyway, the current separation hurts Lucene a good deal as much as it hurts
Solr, if not more.  Likewise, I wish some of the Nutch committers would speak up, as I'm sure
there are some pieces of Nutch that are "core" too, but for a lack of visibility down lower
in Lucene committer wise, especially as Nutch as looking to refactor into more components.
 Obviously not the crawling stuff, but perhaps some of Nutch's analyzer and low level Lucene
stuff would make sense to be pushed lower in the stack.

In the end, I'm still +1 on the current move.  We can consider the other moves separately
if the community wishes.