lucene-general mailing list archives

From Grant Ingersoll <gsing...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Factor out a standalone, shared analysis package for Nutch/Solr/Lucene?
Date Mon, 01 Mar 2010 14:28:40 GMT

On Feb 28, 2010, at 9:05 PM, Michael Busch wrote:

> On 2/28/10 4:30 PM, Grant Ingersoll wrote:
>>

> I was really happy about the original idea of having a separate analyzer module (or subproject,
library, whatever name it'd have), because analysis seems quite separate from indexing/search.
Separating the two seems logical. And why not release such an analyzer package more frequently
than Lucene. Different pieces of code don't all move with the same pace. It'd be nice to have
the freedom of releasing an analyzer library after e.g. a new language was added, maybe even
only two weeks after the previous release. IMO more modular release cycles is a better way
to go than this new proposal.

Yeah, but you know the Analyzers are just the start.  Next it's faceting, then some other
piece, b/c let's all face facts: Solr is more or less what you build when you build a Lucene
search application.  People say the don't want all the "bloat" (AFAICT, what they really mean
is they prefer their own bloat, since every implementation I ever see of Lucene looks damn
well a lot like Solr and I've seen _a lot_ of implementations).  So, to me, why not just get
it over with?  One of the outcomes of it, could easily be that Solr is more modular anyway,
meaning people can pick and choose more what they want (although they already can).

Also, as Doug alluded to, the Board is likely to ask us to consider less subprojects in the
future, so we may be consolidating and spinning off anyway.

-Grant