lucene-general mailing list archives

From "Mattmann, Chris A (388J)" <chris.a.mattm...@jpl.nasa.gov>
Subject Re: Factor out a standalone, shared analysis package for Nutch/Solr/Lucene?
Date Sun, 28 Feb 2010 18:55:06 GMT
Hi Mark,

Thanks for the feedback. My concern is that if the two communities are pretty separate, then
it is going to be more difficult merging them, and it's not always a good thing to take separated
modules (or communities) and integrate them into a monolith, whether it be physically in the
code, or community-wise. I and a bunch of others learned the hard way in OODT-ville at NASA,
and we moved towards a more loosely coupled solution, even at the expense of the difficulty
in "being out of date" from time to time. This experience makes it difficult for me to support
such a move...

Thanks!

Cheers,
Chris

On 2/28/10 10:39 AM, "Mark Miller" <markrmiller@gmail.com> wrote:

On 02/28/2010 12:52 PM, Michael Busch wrote:
> ... I think it's a good
> idea for SOLR to ride on Lucene's trunk again...
> However, I'm -1 for these points:
>
>  * When a change it committed to Lucene, it must pass all Solr tests.
>  * Release both at once.

These are huge reasons why we *don't* want SOLR to ride on Lucene's
trunk anymore.

bq. but we have to ask why they weren't added to Lucene in the first place.

Because the two communities are fairly separate in a lot of ways. This
is one of the things a potential merge would solve. We can say that the
projects should communicate more all we look - the history of saying
such things implies there will be no changes though.

I'm still +0 here, but I'm starting to lean towards merge just sitting
here disagreeing with everyone arguing against :)

Solr is actually part of the project "Lucene" along with Lucene-Java.
The divide now is actually almost unnatural considering how things
are organized.

To those arguing that this would make Solr a first class citizen of
Lucene over other search solutions that use Lucene, that actually
already is the case, and the way things are setup, it should be. Solr is
part of the Lucene project. Other Lucene search engines are not. That
doesn't mean we shouldn't consider Lucene changes in the context of all
the projects that may use it, but Solr already is a first class citizen.
Its not just some project using Lucene - its *the* Lucene project's
Search Server. Lucene devs *should* consider Solr when developing on
Lucene Java - they are the same project - Lucene.

--
- Mark

http://www.lucidimagination.com

Chris Mattmann, Ph.D.