lucene-general mailing list archives

From Grant Ingersoll <gsing...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] merge lucene/solr development (take 3)
Date Tue, 09 Mar 2010 16:34:29 GMT

On Mar 9, 2010, at 11:28 AM, Grant Ingersoll wrote:

> On Mar 9, 2010, at 10:59 AM, Dennis Kubes wrote:
>
>> I agree.  Most of those things can/should be moved into Lucene.  That doesn't necessitate
merging.  Separate responsibilities.

>>> For that matter, why do we even need to have this discussion at all?  > Most
of us Solr committers are Lucene committers.  We can simply start
>>> committing Solr code to Lucene such that in 6 months the whole
>>> discussion is moot and the three committers on Solr who aren't Lucene
>>> committers can earn their Lucene merit very quickly by patching the
>>> "Solr" portion of Lucene.  We can move all the code to it's
>>> appropriate place, add a contrib module for the WAR stuff and the
>>> response writers and voila, Solr is in Lucene, the dev mailing lists
>>> have merged by the fact that Solr dev would be defunct and all of the
>>> proposals in this vote are implemented simply by employing our commit
>>> privileges in a concerted way.
>>
>> Am I reading you right.  Are you are proposing a hostile takeover of the Lucene project?
 Even being committers there needs to be discussion with the community about the best path.
 Or are you suggesting we bypass discussion?  I am now even more concerned that merging is
not the right way to go.

> No.  Would you please re-read it and not quote me out of context.  You left the next
sentence off, which is of course the vital one.

Namely:
"Yet, somehow, me thinks that isn't a good solution either, right?  Yet it is perfectly "legal"
and is just as valid a solution as the "poaching" solution and in a lot of ways seems to be
what Chris is proposing."

My point is, if people would just step back for a minute and remove the labels of Solr and
Lucene and look at the code, the discussion would be a whole lot different.  Furthermore,
if they stepped back and looked at the actual people who do the actual work on Lucene and
Solr, you would see that these separations are slowing down both Lucene and Solr and hurting
them more than helping.   This has been expressed time and time again by committers in both
Lucene and in Solr and even in Nutch, including many committers who do not even work on Solr.

-Grant