lucene-general mailing list archives

From Michael McCandless <luc...@mikemccandless.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] merge lucene/solr development (take 3)
Date Sun, 14 Mar 2010 10:28:57 GMT
On Sun, Mar 14, 2010 at 12:26 AM, Michael Busch <buschmic@gmail.com> wrote:
> This whole thing feels like it's been pushed through, and while I'm
> not against the updated proposal anymore (I voted +0), the bad
> feeling that consensus wasn't really reached remains.

But: this vote is not expected nor required to reach consensus.

We as a community are very used to only pursuing things when they
reach [near-]consensus, simply because nearly every biggish topic we
discuss must first reach consensus.  That's a very high bar and it
blocks many good changes (look at how many times we've broached
relaxing back compat policy...).

This change does not require consensus.  It requires only a majority
to pass, which it has achieved.  Yes, it's contentious, but a change
this big will always be contentious, and this is why Apache requires
only majority for it to pass.

Mike