lucene-general mailing list archives

From Michael McCandless <luc...@mikemccandless.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] merge lucene/solr development (take 3)
Date Tue, 09 Mar 2010 13:21:10 GMT
On Tue, Mar 9, 2010 at 7:21 AM, Grant Ingersoll <gsingers@apache.org> wrote:

>> If we had that freedom ("poaching is perfectly fine"), then,
>> interested devs could freely "refactor" across sub projects.
>
> As someone who works on both, I don't think it is fine.  Just look at the function query
mess.  Just look at the version mess.  It's very frustrating as a developer and it makes me
choose between two projects that I happen to like equally, but for different reasons.  If
I worked on Nutch, I would feel the same way.

But... Lucene should poach from external (eg non-Apache) projects, if
the license works?

Ie if some great analyzer is out there, and Robert spots it, and the
license works, we should poach it?  (In fact he just did this w/
Andrzej's Polish stemmer ;) ).

So we have something of a double standard...

And, ironically, I think it's the fact that there's so much committer
overlap between Solr and Lucene that is causing this antagonism
towards poaching.

When in fact I think poaching, at a wider scale (across unrelated
projects) is a very useful means for any healthy open source software
to evolve.

Why should Lucene be prevented from having a useful feature just
because Solr happened to create it first?

Mike