lucene-general mailing list archives

From Michael McCandless <luc...@mikemccandless.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] merge lucene/solr development (take 3)
Date Tue, 09 Mar 2010 11:26:45 GMT
On Tue, Mar 9, 2010 at 6:09 AM, Andrzej Bialecki <ab@getopt.org> wrote:
> On 2010-03-09 11:40, Michael McCandless wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, Mar 9, 2010 at 5:10 AM, Andrzej Bialecki<ab@getopt.org>  wrote:
>>
>> So.... can/should we freely poach across all our sub projects?
>
> In my opinion: with proper attribution, by all means!

+1

I think shifting to this ("poaching is fine") would be healthy for all
subs.  Pull & push would let code flow freely two-way across the
projects.

>>> Re: Nutch components - those that are reusable in Lucene or Solr
>>> contexts eventually find their way to respective projects, witness
>>> e.g. CommonGrams.
>>
>> In fact I think this is a great example -- as far as I can tell,
>> CommonGrams was poached from Nutch, into Solr, and then was
>> nurtured/improved in both projects separately right?
>
> Right. In fact, Nutch would like to eventually delegate indexing solely to
> Solr, at which point we will reuse the CommonGrams from Solr.

Exactly -- this is how the refactoring would play out with time.
Begins with poaching but eventually winds up with a single source
again (just "moved" from one sub to another).

Ie, if Lucene poached all Solr analyzers, as well as its own core
analyzers, moving all analyzers into contrib/analyzers, then
eventually Solr/Nutch would just use Lucene's contrib/analyzers as the
single source.

Others (whoever has the itch/time) can poach function queries, facets,
etc.

The freedom to poach gives us a powerful push AND pull tool to make
this refactoring gradually over time.

Something interesting can be born in Solr (just because that's where
the itch first arrived) and then freely poached & refactored later by
someone wearing a Lucene dev hat.

> So, I'm all for the poaching ;) but IMHO this doesn't necessitate the merge,
> just refactoring, push/pull and the right mindset.

In fact in my opinion, if we are free to poach across all subs, we
don't need to merge -- poaching solves the primary pain I feel with
our subs now (splintering of code/dev across the subs,
preventing/frustrating people like Robert who put in tons of effort to
improve our analyzers only to see patches languish).

Mike