lucene-general mailing list archives

From Michael McCandless <luc...@mikemccandless.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] merge lucene/solr development (take 3)
Date Tue, 09 Mar 2010 10:40:32 GMT
On Tue, Mar 9, 2010 at 5:10 AM, Andrzej Bialecki <ab@getopt.org> wrote:

> Re: Nutch components - those that are reusable in Lucene or Solr
> contexts eventually find their way to respective projects, witness
> e.g. CommonGrams.

In fact I think this is a great example -- as far as I can tell,
CommonGrams was poached from Nutch, into Solr, and then was
nurtured/improved in both projects separately right?

So.... can/should we freely poach across all our sub projects?

It has obvious downsides (it's essentially a fork that will confuse
those users that use both Solr & Lucene, in the short term, until
things "stabilize" into a clean refactoring; it's double the dev; we
must re-sync with time; etc.).

But it has a massive upside: it means we don't rely only on "push"
(Solr devs to push into Lucene or vice/versa).  We can also use "pull"
(Lucene devs can pull pieces from Nutch/Solr into Lucene).  It becomes
a 2-way street for "properly" factoring our shared code with time.

If we had that freedom ("poaching is perfectly fine"), then,
interested devs could freely "refactor" across sub projects.

Not having this freedom today, and not having merged dev, is stunting
both Solr & Lucene's growth.

Mike