lucene-general mailing list archives

From Michael McCandless <luc...@mikemccandless.com>
Subject Re: Composing posts for both JIRA and email (was a JIRA post)
Date Sat, 06 Mar 2010 09:30:24 GMT
On Fri, Mar 5, 2010 at 2:09 PM, Marvin Humphrey <marvin@rectangular.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 05, 2010 at 05:36:41AM -0500, Michael McCandless wrote:
>> I don't get why Jira can't support email markup (>, >> means nested
>> levels of quoting) in addition to its own...
>
> With text color corresponding to indent level?  That would be ideal.  However,
> email quoting used within JIRA is still coherent, while JIRA quoting within
> email is crap.

Right, like it already does when rendering its own markup, or, like
how most email clients render it.

> People probably think I'm quaint for not using the latest hotness in JIRA
> markup, but so long as my communiques are easily consumed, I don't care.

I don't think it's quaint.  At the end of the day, here, the goal is
communication (NOT an easy task, often failing since it takes two to
tango).  When latest bells and whistles are counter that goal then
it's clear which wins.

I think our difference is whether "most" communication takes place
first read via Jira email (you favor making that readable) or via
click-through to the issue (I slightly favor making this readable --
yes I like the coloring for better communication).

>> It's All Text plugin sounds neat -- what does it gain over simple copy/paste
>> out of your editor?
>
> It's easier to launch the editor -- you click a floating button to the lower
> right of the textarea.  Then, when you save the document (which is a temp
> file) and subsequently refocus on the browser application, the textarea
> flashes yellow and the text from the latest save is automatically inserted.
>
> I guess that doesn't sound like too much, but avoiding a few tedious actions
> on something I do a lot makes a difference for me.

Ahh OK, this sounds quite nice.  Though my emacs is never more than an
alt-tab away..

> What would be really great is if you could edit iteravely using the text
> editor while using the JIRA preview.  Unfortunately, there's a problem with
> the interaction of those two features -- once you click the JIRA preview, the
> It'sAllText editor can no longer update the textarea, even after you disable
> the preview.

Sigh.  There's always something...

>> I can't stand that gmail doesn't do the right thing w/ line wrapping
>> outgoing email, though -- when I quote a message (like below), the
>> addition of the >'s causes already wrapped text to be further wrapped,
>> thus looking hideous (you should see examples below).
>
> I don't see any such examples.  :)  Perhaps that's because I limit my lines to
> 78 characters and gmail wraps at 80?

Hmmmm, interesting.  Let me try *not* re-formatting the quoted parts of
this message and see what happens.  Maybe it's been fixed (by Google)?

> I rewrap people's quotes, too, to keep them at 78 characters or less.  But I'm
> a former graphic designer, so making decisions about type presentation and
> adapting my workflow as needed is second nature and quick.

Sometimes I do that... sometimes I don't... this time I didn't.

Being a former graphic designer is a good way to learn take
communication seriously.

Mike