lucene-general mailing list archives

From Michael McCandless <luc...@mikemccandless.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] merge lucene/solr development
Date Thu, 04 Mar 2010 18:04:44 GMT
On Thu, Mar 4, 2010 at 12:41 PM, Chris Hostetter
<hossman_lucene@fucit.org> wrote:

> Why don't we just start by attempting to have a common dev list and
> merging committers, in the hopes that it will promote better
> communication about features up and down the stack, and better bug
> fixing/refactoring/modularization -- then see if that leads us to a
> point where it makes sense to more tightly couple the build systems
> and releases?

I'm all for being iterative / taking baby steps, when the problem
naturally can be solved that way -- progress not perfection.  Many
problems decompose like this.

But I don't think this problem does.

In particular, how would the above baby step address the code
duplication (my goal in the original opening) -- eg the 3 places where
concrete analyzers/queries are today.  How would it lead to making
facets work with pure Lucene?  To developing spatial in one place?

Mike