lucene-general mailing list archives

From Robert Muir <rcm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] merge lucene/solr development (take 3)
Date Tue, 09 Mar 2010 16:48:01 GMT

> Can you provide more detail on how it's failed? Did it fail because Solr
> wasn't able to upgrade to a newer Lucene that would fix the deprecations? If
> so, what were the reasons?

Its just more work. Besides the duplication functionality itself, in
Lucene we (mostly Uwe) developed code to assist with tasks like this.
For example, we have utility code that makes it easier to maintain
backwards compatibility, test harnesses, etc.

The job still isn't done, but to do it right, it only makes sense to
re-use these resources so its done safely and more effectively. But
this would require even more duplication!!!

> With which "hat" on? Where are you converting them? I'm guessing you mean
> one for Solr and one for Lucene(-java), right?

Both Solr and Lucene. I'm not wearing a hat in this case: its just
something that needs to be done and we are in it together.

--
Robert Muir
rcmuir@gmail.com