lucene-general mailing list archives

From Robert Muir <rcm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] merge lucene/solr development (take 3)
Date Tue, 09 Mar 2010 16:11:44 GMT
> There might be, but as a first start, duplication is a quick way to get
> going and experiment. As solutions that evolve over time are matured, the
> time can come for integration. Parallel tracks allows projects to move
> forward operationally, and enforces insulation, loose coupling and other
> properties.

Unfortunately, this experiment has already happened and has failed.

Instead it just creates more work, especially when it comes time for
code maintenance. This is one reason why Solr is still using
deprecated analysis APIs and one reason why they cannot use Lucene
trunk.

If there weren't so much duplication, then doing efforts such as this
would be easier, instead of having to convert two SynonymFilters we
would only have to convert one.

--
Robert Muir
rcmuir@gmail.com