lucene-general mailing list archives

From Grant Ingersoll <gsing...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] merge lucene/solr development (take 3)
Date Tue, 09 Mar 2010 16:28:06 GMT

On Mar 9, 2010, at 10:59 AM, Dennis Kubes wrote:

> I agree.  Most of those things can/should be moved into Lucene.  That doesn't necessitate
merging.  Separate responsibilities.

> > For that matter, why do we even need to have this discussion at all?  > Most
of us Solr committers are Lucene committers.  We can simply start
> > committing Solr code to Lucene such that in 6 months the whole
> > discussion is moot and the three committers on Solr who aren't Lucene
> > committers can earn their Lucene merit very quickly by patching the
> > "Solr" portion of Lucene.  We can move all the code to it's
> > appropriate place, add a contrib module for the WAR stuff and the
> > response writers and voila, Solr is in Lucene, the dev mailing lists
> > have merged by the fact that Solr dev would be defunct and all of the
> > proposals in this vote are implemented simply by employing our commit
> > privileges in a concerted way.
>
> Am I reading you right.  Are you are proposing a hostile takeover of the Lucene project?
 Even being committers there needs to be discussion with the community about the best path.
 Or are you suggesting we bypass discussion?  I am now even more concerned that merging is
not the right way to go.

No.  Would you please re-read it and not quote me out of context.  You left the next sentence
off, which is of course the vital one.