lucene-general mailing list archives

From Grant Ingersoll <gsing...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] merge lucene/solr development (take 3)
Date Tue, 09 Mar 2010 12:21:37 GMT

On Mar 9, 2010, at 5:40 AM, Michael McCandless wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 9, 2010 at 5:10 AM, Andrzej Bialecki <ab@getopt.org> wrote:
>
>> Re: Nutch components - those that are reusable in Lucene or Solr
>> contexts eventually find their way to respective projects, witness
>> e.g. CommonGrams.
>
> In fact I think this is a great example -- as far as I can tell,
> CommonGrams was poached from Nutch, into Solr, and then was
> nurtured/improved in both projects separately right?
>
> So.... can/should we freely poach across all our sub projects?
>
> It has obvious downsides (it's essentially a fork that will confuse
> those users that use both Solr & Lucene, in the short term, until
> things "stabilize" into a clean refactoring; it's double the dev; we
> must re-sync with time; etc.).
>
> But it has a massive upside: it means we don't rely only on "push"
> (Solr devs to push into Lucene or vice/versa).  We can also use "pull"
> (Lucene devs can pull pieces from Nutch/Solr into Lucene).  It becomes
> a 2-way street for "properly" factoring our shared code with time.
>
> If we had that freedom ("poaching is perfectly fine"), then,
> interested devs could freely "refactor" across sub projects.

As someone who works on both, I don't think it is fine.  Just look at the function query mess.
 Just look at the version mess.  It's very frustrating as a developer and it makes me choose
between two projects that I happen to like equally, but for different reasons.  If I worked
on Nutch, I would feel the same way.

Also, I do look at Solr/Lucene differently.  There is almost complete overlap in the committer
base.  Nutch is not that way, nor is any other project.  I simply don't think Lucene will
end up being geared toward Solr because there are so many users of Lucene here they will prevent
that from happening.

-Grant