lucene-general mailing list archives

From Grant Ingersoll <gsing...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Umbrella Projects
Date Fri, 12 Mar 2010 15:24:17 GMT

On Mar 12, 2010, at 9:58 AM, Bernd Fondermann wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 12, 2010 at 15:39, Grant Ingersoll <gsingers@apache.org> wrote:
>> I have no problem with you proposing to bring in Nutch's overlap.  The fact is, the
Board doesn't like subprojects anyway and we are likely headed for some consolidation/spinning
out anyway (see the December Board Minutes).

> In fact, I was waiting for this argument to be made...
>
> The truth is, umbrella projects didn't go well and the board is only
> watching over this, while the ASF membership thinks umbrellas are no
> good.
>
> And as everybody can see now, although there is a large overlap in
> Lucene/Solr committers, people talk like there are two different
> projects. This is wrong. There is only one project, named Lucene, with
> one PMC, and one committership.

I think that is where we are headed, but it isn't where we are right now (at least at the
committership level).  The Board will likely be seeing a proposal for Mahout as a TLP next
month (we are in the middle of a release cycle so we don't want any distractions at the moment).

I think Tika can stand on it's own, too, and the community there should have the discussion.
  At the same time, I don't want to "kick them out", either, but I would encourage them to
at least have the discussion.

The Ports of Lucene are a bit tricky in my mind.  Both of them are auto-generated for the
most part, so they don't require a super amount of work to produce, but they don't really
seem to be standalone either other than there isn't much committer overlap.  I personally
think the status quo works really well there, but again, just my opinion.

That leaves Solr and Nutch.  The past vote has answered the question for Solr.  I guess I'd
encourage the Nutch community to have a discussion on it.  There isn't much committer overlap
there with Lucene or Solr but there is some code overlap.  Personally, I think the crawling/plugin
stuff could spin out but the core Lucene/analyzers stuff merits a review and a merge.  Again,
that is up to Nutch to decide.  Last I looked at Nutch they were moving to a more modular
architecture that focused on crawling and handed off the other stuff to things like Solr and
Tika.

-Grant