lucene-general mailing list archives

From Ard Schrijvers <a.schrijv...@onehippo.com>
Subject Re: Factor out a standalone, shared analysis package for Nutch/Solr/Lucene?
Date Wed, 03 Mar 2010 14:21:21 GMT
On Wed, Mar 3, 2010 at 3:06 PM, Grant Ingersoll <gsingers@apache.org> wrote:
> I think it should be clarified, that those who are using Lucene would not be affected
at all by this proposal, other than they would probably get some things from Solr that they
wish they
> had anyway (Analyzers, likely Faceting, etc).  I would encourage people to go read what
Mike wrote again.

The thread was a little unclear to me as it seemed to be send to this
list while it had been started already some time before. Your
explanation seems reasonable to me

Regards Ard

>There would still be Lucene jars.  There would still be Solr jars.    All of those
third party projects would still build exactly as they do now, unless of course they want
to add new jars. > Most of the merging is behind the scenes, like a single dev list for
coordination.  I would suspect in practice that most Solr committers would still focus on
Solr, but...

> What you would also be getting is less friction (and I don't mean that in a negative
way) about where things should go.  The reason there is often duplication of efforts is mainly
due to the >arbitrary boundary put up by the fact that most Solr committers are not Lucene
committers.  So, when a Solr committer comes up w/ something that may belong in Lucene proper
(an >Analyzer is just one example) they don't bother to make the effort to put it in Lucene,
so Lucene loses out.