lucene-general mailing list archives

From Ard Schrijvers <a.schrijv...@onehippo.com>
Subject Re: Factor out a standalone, shared analysis package for Nutch/Solr/Lucene?
Date Wed, 03 Mar 2010 09:21:41 GMT
On Tue, Mar 2, 2010 at 6:39 PM, Uri Boness <uboness@gmail.com> wrote:

> I disagree here. I believe Lucene still has larger install base than Solr.
> Think of Jackrabbit which uses Lucene directly and all the CMSs that use
> Jackrabbit. Think of frameworks like Compass and Hibernate Search (that use
> Lucene directly) which are used in a lot of JEE deployments around the
> world. And certainly there are a lot of large infrastructures that use
> Lucene directly as well (as in LinkedIn for example). Solr is great in what
> it does but it is certainly not everything when it comes to open source
> search or Lucene.

I have been involved in the Lucene implementations of Jackrabbit (and
before Slide). With respect to repositories (jsr-170 / jsr-283), where
the backing persistence are some database and the storage is mainly
key-value's, we use Lucene to do all relational queries (a subset of
xpath/sql is translated to Lucene queries). This custom Lucene
implementation (see [1] for overview) can imo never be replaced by
Solr afaik, the only thing it has in common with Solr is that they
both use Lucene.

I agree with Uri that Lucene has a much larger install base than Solr

Regards Ard

[1] http://jackrabbit.apache.org/index-readers.html