lucene-general mailing list archives

From Grant Ingersoll <gsing...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Merge the development of Solr/Lucene (take 2)
Date Fri, 05 Mar 2010 19:14:53 GMT

On Mar 4, 2010, at 6:26 PM, Chris Hostetter wrote:

> : Subject: [VOTE] Merge the development of Solr/Lucene (take 2)
> :
> : A new vote, that slightly changes proposal from last vote (adding only
> : that Lucene can cut a release even if Solr doesn't):
>
> -1
>
> I still don't like that we're voting on a "Goal"

I would add that we vote on "goals" all the time.  We vote to incubate projects with the goal
of bringing them into Lucene and them becoming successful (that doesn't always work).  We
vote on adding committers/PMC members with the goal of them contributing to our project (there
have been a fair number of cases where we make someone a committer/PMC member and they hardly
do anything after being elected.)  We vote on artifacts w/ the "goal" that the community will
find them useable.  ;-)

Somewhat tongue in cheek, I know, but I don't see how we can take on incremental changes if
they are fundamentally dead in the water b/c no one agrees on the end "goal".  I'd be hard
pressed to volunteer to work on such a thing if it didn't have some chance of being accepted.

-Grant