lucene-general mailing list archives

From Dennis Kubes <ku...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] merge lucene/solr development (take 3)
Date Fri, 12 Mar 2010 14:15:32 GMT
Yes railroading.

Many people don't want this to occur.  More than just minus 2.
Underlying concerns are not being addressed.  Vetos count.  Ignoring
that is ignoring how Apache operates.  Merging projects is definitely a
code change.  Getting around it by saying this is a goal is
fundamentally wrong.

1) What prevents functionality be moved over into Lucene within the
current project structure?  Nothing, so why are we even discussing this.

2) Why is Solr getting special treatment?  Because there is a lot of
committer overlap?  Should I propose to merge Nutch in too, lets just
have one big project, no distinctions.

3) Why the big push here to blur project responsibilities? Idk, I keep
wondering that myself.

Dennis

Grant Ingersoll wrote:
> On Mar 12, 2010, at 7:54 AM, Dennis Kubes wrote:
>
>> This has definitely NOT passed.  With as much contention, discussion, and debate
as there has been on this, saying that it has passed is akin to saying "we are just going
to do it anyways".  This is being railroaded IMO and needs to be taken to a higher level within
the Apache organization.

> How is two weeks of discussion and all the committers on the projects minus 2 being for
it and three different votes on it (all with the same outcome), "railroading"?