lucene-general mailing list archives

From Michael Busch <busch...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] merge lucene/solr development (take 3)
Date Tue, 09 Mar 2010 16:35:06 GMT
On 3/9/10 7:35 AM, Robert Muir wrote:
>> 2. duplicate the Lucene code in Solr, address any issues there, and then
>> contribute it back
>>

> Not that I can stop anything, but -1 to any further analysis code
> duplication. There has to be a better way.
>
> Its stupid to duplicate the code. Its also stupid to just move the code.

I agree with that.  No matter if this dev-merge vote passes or not, we
still want a separate analysis module, right?  Gathering all the
analyzers from the different projects and putting them into one place
was Mike's first proposal and I believe everyone was excited about it.

So how about we start with that, considering that we want to do it
anyway?  It seems like this solves the immediate problem Robert and
others are having with working on the analyzer patches and will help us
learn about what such a re-structuring entails.  And then, maybe in a
few weeks or months, we can discuss again if more modules should be
factored out or if we still see the need for merging the Solr and Lucene
devs.
It seems like the analysis house is currently the only one on fire.

  Michael