lucene-general mailing list archives

From Dennis Kubes <ku...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] merge lucene/solr development (take 3)
Date Tue, 09 Mar 2010 15:59:09 GMT
I agree.  Most of those things can/should be moved into Lucene.  That
doesn't necessitate merging.  Separate responsibilities.

 > For that matter, why do we even need to have this discussion at all?
  > Most of us Solr committers are Lucene committers.  We can simply start
 > committing Solr code to Lucene such that in 6 months the whole
 > discussion is moot and the three committers on Solr who aren't Lucene
 > committers can earn their Lucene merit very quickly by patching the
 > "Solr" portion of Lucene.  We can move all the code to it's
 > appropriate place, add a contrib module for the WAR stuff and the
 > response writers and voila, Solr is in Lucene, the dev mailing lists
 > have merged by the fact that Solr dev would be defunct and all of the
 > proposals in this vote are implemented simply by employing our commit
 > privileges in a concerted way.

Am I reading you right.  Are you are proposing a hostile takeover of the
Lucene project?  Even being committers there needs to be discussion with
the community about the best path.  Or are you suggesting we bypass
discussion?  I am now even more concerned that merging is not the right
way to go.

Dennis

Grant Ingersoll wrote:
> I think many of the objections I've seen so far come from the fact that people don't
really know what Solr is.  Solr is much more than simply a "server" around Lucene.

people who writes a Lucene app for production has to do:

> 1. Analyzers
> 2. Functions
> 3. Schema (although likely abstracted/reworked)
> 4. Warming/Reopen - this is hard code to get right and I've seen many people do it wrong.
 It is also yet another area of duplication where something started in Solr b/c for years
the Lucene community had no interest in donating code for it (incRef/decRef)
> 5. Faceting
>
> If someone came in and contributed all of those things to Lucene, there would be no objection.
 Simply the fact that Solr has other things around it doesn't mean people have to use them
and no one is proposing some Uber JAR.