lucene-general mailing list archives

From Dennis Kubes <ku...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] merge lucene/solr development (take 3)
Date Tue, 09 Mar 2010 14:54:03 GMT
It was late when I wrote that, maybe my analogy was not clear.  You are
echoing what I was trying to say that that Hadoop != Nutch and it
wouldn't have been as useful if it had only ever been viewed that way.
I think part of this discussion is looking at Lucene as needing things
that are beyond it.  That should be other projects.

Here is my logic FWIW:

Solr depends on Lucene.
Many other projects depend critically on Lucene
Not all of those projects depend on Solr
Solr and Lucene have different responsibilities
Therefore Solr != Lucene and should not merge dev.

Should Solr work more closely to move some of it pieces into Lucene if
they are applicable.  Yes.  To me that doesn't mean merge.

Dennis