lucene-general mailing list archives

From Andrzej Bialecki ...@getopt.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] merge lucene/solr development (take 3)
Date Tue, 09 Mar 2010 12:58:00 GMT
On 2010-03-09 13:21, Grant Ingersoll wrote:

> On Mar 9, 2010, at 5:40 AM, Michael McCandless wrote:

>> If we had that freedom ("poaching is perfectly fine"), then,
>> interested devs could freely "refactor" across sub projects.
>>

> As someone who works on both, I don't think it is fine.  Just look at
> the function query mess.  Just look at the version mess.  It's very
> frustrating as a developer and it makes me choose between two
> projects that I happen to like equally, but for different reasons.
> If I worked on Nutch, I would feel the same way.

The mess happened afaik due to a lack of communication and NIH. It's
true that
if Sol had been merged with Lucene then only one version would have won.
This may still happen with enough cooperation on both sides, even
without the merge.

Anyway, my vote hovers near 0 either way, as you said it's different for
Nutch.

--
Best regards,
Andrzej Bialecki     <><