lucene-general mailing list archives

From Andrzej Bialecki ...@getopt.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] merge lucene/solr development (take 3)
Date Tue, 09 Mar 2010 10:10:08 GMT
On 2010-03-09 05:24, Grant Ingersoll wrote:

> In the end, for me anyway, the current separation hurts Lucene a good
> deal as much as it hurts Solr, if not more.  Likewise, I wish some of
> the Nutch committers would speak up, as I'm sure there are some
> pieces of Nutch that are "core" too, but for a lack of visibility
> down lower in Lucene committer wise, especially as Nutch as looking
> to refactor into more components.  Obviously not the crawling stuff,
> but perhaps some of Nutch's analyzer and low level Lucene stuff would
> make sense to be pushed lower in the stack.

With my Nutch hat on, I'm -0 to this current vote.

If the primary devs really insist on going this way, so be it, but I
think that long-term it brings more challenges than it solves, among
them the danger that Lucene ceases to be a general purpose Java search
library (where being Java-centric is nothing wrong) and caters too much
to Solr's needs at the expense of other projects.

Re: Nutch components - those that are reusable in Lucene or Solr
contexts eventually find their way to respective projects, witness e.g.
CommonGrams. Other stuff makes sense only in Nutch and it would be a
mistake to push it by force to become e.g. a contrib module in Lucene if
it's not applicable to a majority of Lucene community. Refactoring to
increase reuse doesn't mean we have to merge Nutch with Lucene, it's
just a cleaner separation of concerns. Anyway, that's not the topic of
the current vote.

--
Best regards,
Andrzej Bialecki     <><