lucene-general mailing list archives

From Mark Miller <markrmil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Q re merging dev MLs
Date Thu, 04 Mar 2010 23:07:27 GMT
On 03/04/2010 06:00 PM, Otis Gospodnetic wrote:
> Here is my concern:
>
> * Merging the dev lists into a single list.
>
> My concern is that people will be overwhelmed with the volume. Individual -dev lists
are already pretty high traffic and hard to follow regularly.  I dread coming back from vacations
for this reason.  That stuff is not light reading.  Didn't we see Hadoop do exactly the opposite?
 Doug described it as code-base being too big, but I'd say the original list was also too
high traffic (was split into common-, hdfs-, and mapreduce- I believe).

> Isn't the ML merge going to make it harder for those who wear predominantly Lucene or
predominantly Solr hats to track the stuff they care *more* about?  Aren't the things these
people care for the most breackages?  If so, wouldn't Hudson tell them about those if we have
Solr@Lucene trunk (either directly or via regular Lucene jar imports into Solr svn repo)?

> Thoughts?
>
> Thanks,
> Otis
> ----

The Solr dev list is actually reasonably light compared to the lucene
dev list.

Personally though, I could go either way.

Its certainly easy enough to filter messages with your mail client if
you still wanted to browse them separately.

I think this could work without merging dev lists, but it would be nice
to help nurture the cross pollination and merged dev thoughts/planning.

--
- Mark

http://www.lucidimagination.com