lucene-general mailing list archives

From Mark Miller <markrmil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] merge lucene/solr development
Date Thu, 04 Mar 2010 18:14:51 GMT
On 03/04/2010 01:04 PM, Michael McCandless wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 4, 2010 at 12:41 PM, Chris Hostetter
> <hossman_lucene@fucit.org>  wrote:
>

>> Why don't we just start by attempting to have a common dev list and
>> merging committers, in the hopes that it will promote better
>> communication about features up and down the stack, and better bug
>> fixing/refactoring/modularization -- then see if that leads us to a
>> point where it makes sense to more tightly couple the build systems
>> and releases?
>>
> I'm all for being iterative / taking baby steps, when the problem
> naturally can be solved that way -- progress not perfection.  Many
> problems decompose like this.
>
> But I don't think this problem does.
>
> In particular, how would the above baby step address the code
> duplication (my goal in the original opening) -- eg the 3 places where
> concrete analyzers/queries are today.  How would it lead to making
> facets work with pure Lucene?  To developing spatial in one place?
>
> Mike

Agreed - merging committers is just one piece - by itself, it doesn't
make much sense. Why would we just make all Lucene devs Solr committers
or vice versa? That's not a goal of mine. If they should be a commiter,
they would contribute to the project and become one naturally. To me its
just a requirement of the other goals (Solr on Lucene trunk, less
duplication/sharing between the projects) - not a baby step we can "try
out".

--
- Mark

http://www.lucidimagination.com