lucene-general mailing list archives

From Mark Miller <markrmil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] merge lucene/solr development
Date Thu, 04 Mar 2010 15:40:55 GMT
On 03/04/2010 10:30 AM, Jukka Zitting wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Thu, Mar 4, 2010 at 3:33 PM, Mark Miller<markrmiller@gmail.com>  wrote:
>
>> On 03/04/2010 09:21 AM, Simon Willnauer wrote:
>>
>>> Are we still voting or is this already a discussion?
>>>
>> As far as I'm concerned, a vote is on - the vote was started and people are
>> voting.
>>
> I haven't followed this too closely, but the large amount of confusion
> seems to indicate that calling a vote on this may be premature.
>
> As an outside observer (I'm not actively involved in Solr or Lucene
> Java development) this proposal seems like a pretty monumental change
> for the projects. Would it make sense to rather start with smaller
> steps that everyone can agree on?
>
> BR,
>
> Jukka Zitting

Hey Jukka - I can see your point for sure -

but with more people voting than saying they are confused, that seems to
say something ?

Since Yonik started the vote, I'd defer to him on all this - its only my
opinion.

But it seems that anyone could argue any vote is too monumental or
confusing at any time. But if the majority of people
are not confused and are voting (most now voting for the merge), I'm not
sure it makes sense to say the vote is premature?

If 90%+ of the committers are voting +1 so far, I'm not sure that says
we should start with smaller steps either?

My simple opinion though.

--
- Mark

http://www.lucidimagination.com