lucene-general mailing list archives

From Michael Busch <busch...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] merge lucene/solr development
Date Thu, 04 Mar 2010 03:13:10 GMT
On 3/3/10 6:00 PM, Yonik Seeley wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 3, 2010 at 8:10 PM, Michael Busch<buschmic@gmail.com>  wrote:
>
>> So if it seems like that most people are concerned about releases (even
>> those you are generally in favor of this proposal), then maybe we should
>> discuss exactly this point. We haven't really discussed alternatives about
>> the release alignment. This vote feels rushed.
>>
> It's been discussed for a week, and I'm with Mark - I'm only for a
> real merge of development, and that includes release schedules.
>
> -Yonik

How will we merge release policies? (or are they exactly the same?) Does
Solr use the same release numbering? Does it have the same
backwards-compatibility requirements as Lucene?

If we release Solr 1.5.0 with Lucene 3.1.0, and we find a bug in the
Lucene jar and want to release a 3.1.1 bugfix release, will we also
release a Solr 1.5.1, even though all Solr jars would be identical to
the 1.5.0?
Or will we just release Solr/Lucene 4.0.0 next and always use same
release numbers?

How will we avoid longer release cycles? Solr had had very infrequent
releases. What were the reasons for that? Are we comfortable with saying
we'll just try to be disciplined enough or is there a way to somehow
enforce release frequency? It seems certain that if more people work on
the code, there will at any given point be more patches/new features
under development and things need to be coordinated in a way that allows
frequent releases.

In an earlier mail I gave the following example: If we had a separate
analyzer module, and we add an analyzer in a new language to it, it
would be cool to release it soon, without having to wait until
Lucene/Solr are ready for a release. The pace here can be faster,
because I imagine in such an Analyzer module it's much less common that
a patch "touches everything". What do people think about this? Maybe
it's just a nice wish, but not realizable, because there'd be a lot of
version management overhead. But maybe not?

I'm not against this whole thing and I'm not trying to be difficult
here, and I dislike endless discussions just as everyone else. But I
honestly don't know right now how to vote, because I have those open
questions and know that a lot of other people here are concerned about
the release alignment as well.

  Michael