lucene-general mailing list archives

From Ian Holsman <li...@holsman.net>
Subject Re: Factor out a standalone, shared analysis package for Nutch/Solr/Lucene?
Date Sun, 28 Feb 2010 16:07:07 GMT
I'm not a committer here (or on SOLR), so I can't vote, but I'm
generally against this. but on the flip side I've been using SOLR for
quite a while.

firstly SOLR is not the only application that uses lucene as a webservice.

waiting for SOLR developers to implement re-factorings and changes made
to the core will hamper lucene development.
and things like katta, elastic search, neo4j, and zoie will be treated
like 2nd class citizens and suffer.

It will also hamper innovative new developments, as now 'oh.. this will
break SOLR', or 'SOLR can't use that easily' will stop them. I'm curious
how the NRT enhancements and payload changes would have gone if they had
to wait for SOLR to change stuff to make them work. and most of the SOLR
dev's are on the lucene dev list anyway.

SOLR should just be treated like any API user of lucene and lucene
should not be limited by SOLR.

as for the original reason.. I support breaking out the analyzers and
making them more generic, or pushing down the changes SOLR (and nutch
and whoever)
have made back into the core.

as for the assertion that SOLR is the largest user of lucene, I don't
even know how you could back that up, and even if it is today, that
might change tomorrow.
The web is a fickle place.

so.. I'm pretty happy with how things are going today. lucene is a
library that other things can include. SOLR is a webservice using lucene.