lucene-general mailing list archives

From Otis Gospodnetic <otis_gospodne...@yahoo.com>
Subject Q re merging dev MLs
Date Thu, 04 Mar 2010 23:00:26 GMT
Here is my concern:

* Merging the dev lists into a single list.

My concern is that people will be overwhelmed with the volume. Individual -dev lists are already
pretty high traffic and hard to follow regularly.  I dread coming back from vacations for
this reason.  That stuff is not light reading.  Didn't we see Hadoop do exactly the opposite?
 Doug described it as code-base being too big, but I'd say the original list was also too
high traffic (was split into common-, hdfs-, and mapreduce- I believe).

Isn't the ML merge going to make it harder for those who wear predominantly Lucene or predominantly
Solr hats to track the stuff they care *more* about?  Aren't the things these people care
for the most breackages?  If so, wouldn't Hudson tell them about those if we have Solr@Lucene
trunk (either directly or via regular Lucene jar imports into Solr svn repo)?

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Otis
----